Keep Your Account Secure on Shared Computers
Browse in Private to Help Protect Your Account
If you sign in on a device that's used by other people, follow the steps below.
- Open Chrome.
- Open a private window.
- At the top right, click on the 3 dots, then select New Incognito Window.
- A new window will open. In the top corner, check for the gray Incognito icon.
- Go www.google.com, and sign in to your account.
- When you're done using the web, close all private windows or sign out. To sign out:
- Go to www.google.com.
- On the top right, select your profile image, initial, or email address.
- Choose Sign out.
How private browsing works
When you sign in on a private window in Chrome:
- Searches you do, sites you visit, and other activity aren't saved to the browser's history.
- Your activity controls apply, so the same activity as usual is saved to your Google Account.
- Cookies are deleted after you close all private windows.
Note: Private windows in other browsers might work differently. Read the details when you follow the instructions to browse in private.